Getting your voluntary or community group into the media can be useful for a variety of ways, including raising awareness of your organisation to potential service users, advocates and even encouraging donations.
This one-day course will explore how to gain effective media coverage for your organisation and the importance of media coverage to your fundraising.
We are excited to be working with guest tutor Andy Kershaw, a former BBC Broadcast journalist and presenter with 19 years’ experience. Andy is now a freelance journalist and media trainer.
So how does it work?
• The session will use Zoom to create a virtual classroom, where presentations and group interactive discussions will take place, just like they do in a traditional classroom
• Access to a padlet of online resources
• Time scheduled for lunch and breaks.
This course will look at:
• how to deal with the print and broadcast media
• how to write effective press releases
• developing media interview techniques
• tips on how the media works
• useful audio case studies from successful community groups
• 'Mock' interviews pre-recorded and 'as live'
• The links between fundraising and media coverage.
A free 'Using the Media' information pack will also be available.
Date: Wednesday 2nd March 2022
Time: 10 am - 3 pm
Cost: £80.00 per person
Sheffield voluntary and community groups: £40.00 per person (maximum 2 places per group)
Statutory Body/Individual Consultants: £160.00
Venue: Zoom Virtual Classroom
This session is aimed at local groups and charities who are without professional press or paid communications officers.
Details of how to join the meeting will be emailed out the day before the training session to the email provided upon booking.
If you have never used Zoom before there is a useful online guide to it here.
Previous Zoom Virtual Classroom participants said:
“Pretty much everything talked about I will be putting into practice. I have no experience in writing press releases and now I feel confident that I will be able to write one”
“I think the course was great, we weren't bogged down with nitty gritty info but rather a great overall understanding across different media types. I wouldn't change anything”
“Very informative and enjoyable training session”
“Fantastic event thoroughly enjoyed it. I will definitely be using tools that have learned today going forward”
• 100% of Zoom attendees have increased knowledge of the link between fundraising and media coverage
• 100% of Zoom attendees learnt tips to deal with print and broadcast media
• 100% of Zoom attendees learnt something they will put into practice.
You must book a place through our website. Please register with the email address you would like the Zoom invitation sent to.
*Places on the session are limited; we will open up further dates if there is the demand. To register your interest in future sessions please contact email@example.com
We accept bookings using the following payment methods:
• Online using debit/credit card or Paypal account
The quickest and easiest way to book places is to book and pay instantly online using the online booking system in the box below. Select "Card/Paypal" for this option. Payment can be made by debit or credit card, or through your Paypal account if you have one. Your booking will then be confirmed immediately by email.
• Online followed by BACS
If you prefer to pay by BACS, you can provisionally reserve your place online by selecting "BACS / Cheque" on the payment screen. You then need to make a BACS payment using the details in the reservation email we send you. Please contact us if you are only able to pay by cheque. Once we've received your payment, we will confirm your place by email.
You can download our payment and cancellation terms and conditions here.
Sheffield voluntary and community sector organisations
A selection of our training sessions, which focus on different types of funding, are subsidised by Sheffield City Council for voluntary and community groups whose work benefits Sheffield residents. Sessions that are eligible for this subsidy will be highlighted under the ‘Cost’ section on the booking page. Eligible groups can access two subsidised places per session. Places are limited and bookings are only confirmed once payment has been received.